With the circular table saw you can make the most varied cuts in wood with precision. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when using your table circular saw. In particular, the safety when operating the table circular saw plays a decisive role. In this article you will learn how to use the table circular saw correctly, tips for working with the table circular saw and what you should pay attention to.
Tips for Sawing with the Table Circular Saw: Safety, Saw Blades, and Application.
Important safety precautions when working with table circular saws
Not only for the inexperienced, but also for ambitious and experienced DIYers, working with the table circular saw involves considerable risks. Therefore, it is important to work with the saw with great care and concentration to avoid serious injury from carelessness. If you are new to the saw, read the operating instructions before starting to work with the saw. The following tips for working with circular table saws will be particularly helpful:
- Your circular table saw should always have a firm footing under your feet, not wobble, and be upright.
- Use the saw to cut different types of wood lengthwise or crosswise. Sawing other materials, firewood and roundwood, on the other hand, is absolutely essential and carries many risks.
- Adjust the cutting height of the sawso that it cuts straight through the workpiece. Otherwise, the cutting edge will not be as clean and the saw blade will become visible and you could accidentally touch it.
- If the distance between the workpiece and the saw blade is less than 120mm, please use a sliding block to guide the workpiece. If the distance is less than 30mm, use a push stick to guide the workpiece towards the saw blade piece by piece without any risk.
- Do not put your hands on the workpiece in the area of the cut linewhen advancing the workpiece. In addition, you must enter the workpiece at constant speed and pressure.
- Always remove the work piecesor parts of work pieces in the area of the circular table saw blade with the push rod. .
- The right saw blade also plays a decisive role – only approved saw blades fiton your tabletop circular saw for cutting materials. Take extra care that the thickness of the riving knife and the thickness of the saw blade match.
- For your own safety, you should always wear mouth, ear and eye protection and tight clothing. You should avoid wearing gloves, as the glove cloth can quickly get caught in the circular table saw. It is also recommended to use a collection container for pieces of material.
This way, you can be safe when using the circular table saw.
When should you use which saw blade?
You will find a wide range of saw blades on the market. However, saw blades vary considerably in their properties and are not automatically suitable for the exact parts you are working on. Basically, the finer the serration on the blade, the more precise cuts you can make with your saw and the fewer breaks there will be in the cut edge . Also, the teeth of the woodworking blades must always be at a positive angle to the center axis and point downward. So that you know which blade is the most suitable for your job, we will show you a brief summary of the most common saw blades.
The speed of work, the quality of cut and the service life of the saw blade depend on the characteristics of the saw blade.
The coarse tooth saw blade for longitudinal cuts
The small and coarse-toothed saw blade is ideal for longitudinal cuts in solid wood. With the saw blade you can make fast and efficient cuts , because the teeth have a large space for chips. However, you should be aware that this will cause a severe tear on the cutting edge.
The universal saw blade for wood-based materials
The universal saw blade is especially suitable for wood-based materials . The blade has more teeth than a coarse tooth saw blade. In addition, the teeth and chip space are generally smaller, which avoids large tears on the cutting edge.
The fine tooth saw blade for cross cutting
If you want to avoid cutting edge tears as much as possible, a fine tooth saw blade is the right choice for you. It is important that you always cut along the grain of the wood . This blade is also suitable for processing coated workpieces .
How to use circular table saws correctly
Now that you know what you need to know when working with the saw, you can start cutting. Make sure the circular table saw is positioned correctly , as this is essential for a clean and accurate cut. The cross guide , scale and parallel guide are very important. Below we will explain in detail the most important adjustment ranges of the saw and its functions.
Make sure your saw has a cross cut guide. With the crosscut guide, you can make very precise angular cuts, for example. The Einhell Table Circular Saw Cross Cut Guide is designed for -60 ° to 60 ° mitering .
A practical tool for table circular saws: the crosscut guide.
You should also always make sure that the distance between the rip fence and the saw blade is adjusted correctly. With the scale you can adjust the distance of the guide parallel to the saw blade so that the saw blade cut to size is always the same length and width and an identical cut is made.
This ensures that you can set the saw blade distance correctly.
With the parallel guide, push the workpiece through the circular saw with a push stick along the parallel guide . Thanks to the parallel stop, the workpiece is always at the same distance from the blade, allowing an exact cut . It is also important that you always fix the parallel guide and that it is not too loose.
Here’s how to set the parallel guide correctly.
Once you’ve made all the adjustments, you can start cutting. Always mark cuts accurately and cleanly, and always work carefully and concentrated with the saw. Take a look at the video of the special features that the machine has in store for you.
As you can see, the tabletop circular saw can be used for a variety of different applications and requires great sensitivity. In addition to careful handling of the machine, there are many other points to consider to avoid serious injury and achieve optimal results. However, with our advice, you are guaranteed safe and optimal saw cuts for all your DIY projects. Become an expert!